Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Critics' Circle Centenary Conference: Theatre Criticism Now


Theatre Criticism Now: What’s the Point?
           
This was a panel set-up, made up of Kate Bassett (formally from The Independent on Sunday), Dominic Cavendish (Daily Telegraph), Mark Fisher (freelance), and Fiona Mountford (Evening Standard). It was a lively panel, and for the most part, it included a very lively discussion, not just about the role of critics but also their value and treatment by those who pay for their services.
            One of the big questions that came up and was discussed was the ‘why do we review theatre?’ It was met with some of the simple answers like ‘for posterity,’ which, as someone pursuing a Masters in Theatre Studies, I certainly appreciate. There is definite merit in transcribing the theatrical experience, what it was like to be there, how the audience is feeling through the ups and downs of the production, and to record this so that future generations can gain insight to our theatrical culture through these writings. I believe Kenneth Tynan and Michael Billington both did this very well. When I read the two books that compile their reviews, Tynan on Theatre and Michael Billington’s One Night Stands, I really do feel like I am learning what the theatre on that night was legitimately like.
            Another answer to that question of ‘why we review’ was, basically, for the general good of the public. I believe it was Kate Bassett who made the remark that today people are extremely careful on how they spend both their time and money. Both are extremely valuable in today’s society, and if a reviewer can better steer you to a night you will thoroughly enjoy, then they really are providing a service. I like this idea, I think it holds a great deal of merit, especially for the average London theatre-goer. For myself, personally, as a student I tell myself that everything deserves to be seen and considered, even if I find I do not like it. But this is not the case for most people, I am an oddity, a very small minority. For those are looking for a good night, perhaps intelligent, or perhaps just entertaining, a critic one trusts can be a very valuable resource.
            The critic is also important as a bridge between the audience and the production. A critic very often has a more informed view of the production, and can convey the ideas and concepts that appear in the play that we average viewers might miss at first. This also brought up later on the question of ‘the embedded critic,’ and here, I find myself agreeing with Michael Billington. In his book, One Night Stands, at one point he wrote about his experience of sitting in during a rehearsal. He didn’t seem to enjoy it, and I feel like it gives the reviewer a tainted instead of objective view of the play.
            There were many other points covered, and many other really great comments on the importance of the critic, the role of a critic and the further role that that criticism can have. But the one thing mentioned time and time again in almost every different facet of critiquing mentioned, was honesty. An honest review is the most important review you can write. It’s more important than a smooth or nice review. How you truly felt sitting in that theatre, what you saw and heard. Give that back to your readers, put it on paper (or blog) and give people your true thoughts so that they can use that and make their decisions accordingly.
            Personally, I gained a lot from this panel discussion, I also learned about how a lot of magazines and papers have cut their arts staff. One woman who was speaking, had just been let go as The Independent on Sunday apparently cut their entire arts staff. The first thing I go to in a newspaper is the arts section, I look for the reviews and the features on theatre – if The Washington Post or The Guardian ever cut their Arts sections, I think I might find myself canceling my subscriptions. It was scary to hear, though, I love reviewing, and was thinking of it as a possible career path. I don’t think I will discredit the profession as a pathway for myself entirely, I’ll still be reviewing on here for a long time to come, but hearing about the lack of openings and lack of opportunities as a theatre critic does give me some realistic perspective. This was actually touched on in the following panel – and I will speak about that as well in a post possibly later tonight or tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment