Sunday, July 14, 2013

Books: Tynan on Theatre: Part IV


Tynan on European Theatre
           
I fear as I go longer and longer without writing, and further and further from the original read, these writings will become less and less thorough. When my professor told me to write the moment you return home from the theatre – I should have done well to apply that to my readings as well. For I found today as I sat down to write this, that while I knew the basics of his writings in this section, I had lost a majority of the content in my memory. So – that prompted a nice (hour-long) re-read-through.
The section reads thusly: French Theatre, German Theatre, and why the Russians can out-act our English any day. I shall discuss it in that order.

Tynan on French Theatre:
            We begin with the plays of Giraudoux and Ionesco – and we learn about not only the plots of the plays, but more importantly, the styles of these writers. How one writes often supersedes the importance of the actual plot – at least this is what I gathered from what I was reading. How Giraudoux and Ionesco are examples of this idea, comes across in Tynan’s emphasis on their beautiful prose and the duality in their writing of both the playwright and the poet. Shakespeare had this duality – his speeches are famous for it. It is nice to be reminded now and then, though, that it still exits in contemporary playwrights of the 20th Century.
            While not every playwright is met with total praise, there is clear respect and admiration for Ionesco and Giraudoux. While I once thought that Moliere was the heart of French theatre, it seems I have now been redirected and educated to look towards these contemporary writers. A whole article is dedicated to Ionesco, who I admit, is hailed as one of the great 20th Century writers – but I think it becomes even more poignant when it is told to you by one of the original viewers, instead of a second-hand scholar. No offense to second-hand sources, mind!
            In the end, the section sums up with an account of the great political turmoil (regarding government funding) that the French theatre found itself involved in the late 1950’s with the interference of the Minister of State in charge of Cultural Affairs, Andre Malraux. A time when funding for the Comédie-Française was reduced so as to allow for more funding to other types of theatre and more contemporary works. There was also an increase in control of the government in theatre and theatre content. In fact, from my point of view, if not Tynan’s, it looked as if the French theatre was heading down the same path as the English. But while it was a difficult time for the French theatrical of the time, I don’t believe it hurt them too dearly in the long run.

Tynan on German Theatre:
            Or rather – Tynan on Brecht. I am a fan of Brecht, even before reading Tynan’s thoughts on the sly and clever little German man. With his wonderful reviews and summaries of both Mother Courage and The Good Woman of Setzuan, Tynan’s great admiration for Brecht comes across in glowing respect short yet poignant critiques. Then after that delightful discussion of Brecht, we get a lovely article on West Berlin theatre on the whole. Tynan is more professor and educator in his articles, he disperses information over opinion and the result is thought-provoking to say the least. I find when reading his articles, I have to think about my own opinion and draw my own conclusions – like reading a text book (imagine! One of my required readings for graduate school reading like a textbook), rather than a collection.
            After reading his thoughts on Berlin and the Berliner Ensemble, I just feel a little disgruntled at the lateness of my birth. I also feel a renewed interest in Bertolt Brecht beyond Galileo, a play I actually rather enjoyed thanks to an inspiring Professor of Theatrical History and Texts. Tynan has such an evident and entrancing love for Brecht’s style and writings that it’s hard not to get swept up with him while reading his thoughts. He is so interested and invested in his love that he spends 20 pages summing up 1959 in Germany and Brecht’s genius, influence and innovations in German theatre and theatre in general.
Then, finally we move on to Russia

Tynan on Theatre in Moscow:
            When reading Tynan’s thoughts on theatre in Moscow and how audiences in Moscow received theatre, I felt almost ashamed for my adopted British theatre. In Moscow, it appears, plays are bigger, sets much grander, and the acting – larger in scale, and filled with multi-faceted characters. While Chekov is the only writer truly explored here – one get’s the sense that the style and capacity of the Russian actors is what truly makes their theatre great.
            Tynan speaks about the obvious choice in England to make Chekov plays into tragedies, whereas the Russian take Chekov at his word and allow the comedy to take over. Personally, I had the good fortune of learning first about Chekov as a dry wit before reading his plays. This allowed me to read and enjoy them for that, though I find I did not respect Konstantine Gavrilovich as much as I probably should have…
            From what I can tell from Tynan’s view and admiration of Russian actors and their style, they are more involved, more intellectual and just truer than many of their contemporaries from other nations. It no longer seems odd to me that Drama Centre London sends their student to Moscow for 4 months. Instead, I find myself thinking that it is actually practical and even essential.

Summation:
            All in all, this section reads as a sort of love-letter to international theatre, and reminds me of the importance of seeing and taking in as much art as humanly possible. I know from professors and my own experiences, that is important to broaden ones horizons not only to be educated but to also come to logical conclusions. But this seems important also for the reason of bettering one’s self through identification and exploration of the cultural practices and theatrical styles of other nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment