Thursday, June 20, 2013

Books: Tynan on Theatre, Introduction


Tynan on Theatre
            Published in book format, this title is actually a compilation of many of Kenneth Tynan’s articles and reviews written about the theatre. The articles date from as early as 1951-1959. In just ten years, Tynan wrote hundreds of essays and articles now compiled here into six categories: British Theatre, Shakespeare, American Theatre, European Theatre, Portraits, and then one last section for Miscellaneous.
            As I had never truly been an avid reader of theatre reviews, except for when my dad occasionally discarded the Arts & Entertainment section of The Washington Post on Sunday mornings, this was a whole new type of reading experience for me. I was, in fact, reading someone else’s experience. But the wonderful thing about Mr. Tynan, in his reviews he doesn’t just critique, but informs the reader with information about the play, the author and even the creative team behind the play. In fact, his reviews are so well-informed on most every aspect of the plays he has seen, that I find myself thinking that this book could be considered an amazing reference not just intellectuals and researchers, but actors, directors and most undoubtedly: playwrights.
            To give this publication the true attention it deserves, and to exercise my mind a little more thoroughly, I have decided to discuss it by the sections into which it is divided. So these reviews will start in England and end with portraits and musings. This may take awhile, so prepare yourself for the first entry of my thoughts on Tynan on Theatre: British Theatre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment